cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tylerw
New Contributor

Help needed for Netvanta 1234

Jump to solution

My company just acquired a Netvanta 1234 that's set to factory default.  I'm not a networking person, so I don't know exactly what needs to be set, but I know how to navigate the configurations and such.  I need to be able to hook the switch to the internet (don't have access to the router) and then hook 4 servers (all dhcp) to it and have them talk and get internet.  Do I need to configure an additional VLAN (besides the default)?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help needed for Netvanta 1234

Jump to solution

Assuming you have a flat (single VLAN) network, you shouldn't need to do anything to the switch.  From the factory, all ports are on the same default VLAN (1).

As far as internet goes, the switch needs to be connected to the router as there is no firewall in the 1234.  If it is a 2nd generation 1234 and you have the latest firmware, you can do some basic routing with it, but it sounds like you just want to plug it into your existing router to get your LAN up and running.

If you're router is using multiple VLAN(s), then you should add matching VLAN(s) and set the port that links to the router into Trunk mode.  I hope this helps.

R\

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help needed for Netvanta 1234

Jump to solution

Assuming you have a flat (single VLAN) network, you shouldn't need to do anything to the switch.  From the factory, all ports are on the same default VLAN (1).

As far as internet goes, the switch needs to be connected to the router as there is no firewall in the 1234.  If it is a 2nd generation 1234 and you have the latest firmware, you can do some basic routing with it, but it sounds like you just want to plug it into your existing router to get your LAN up and running.

If you're router is using multiple VLAN(s), then you should add matching VLAN(s) and set the port that links to the router into Trunk mode.  I hope this helps.

R\

0 Kudos