cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Multicast Paging on Netvanta 1234P vs 1224P

Jump to solution

We've configured multicast paging on IP phones many times before, but I've got a problem now with a 1234P switch (the first 1234P we've tried).  The phones will page fine with a  1224P or other brand switch, but they won't with a 1234P switch.  Is there some extra configuration item I need to do because it's a L3 light switch?   I've got 10.5.3 on it, tried others.  Thanks for thinking about this!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Multicast Paging on Netvanta 1234P vs 1224P

Jump to solution

Thanks Levi!

Those were great ideas.  What ended up working was enabling edgeport mode on that particular port for spanning tree.  I'm not sure why though.

--Keith

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  It depends on the issues you're experiencing, but typically, multicast problems on the NetVanta switch products can be resolved by either enabling the IGMP Snooping feature, or disabling LLDP on the ports connected to phones.

If you are using multicast then IGMP Snooping should be enabled.  IGMP configuration in AOS has underwent some revisions and the Configuring IGMP Snooping guide explains how to implement IGMP Snooping in current firmware.  IGMP snooping takes advantage of IGMP packets flowing through a switch to reduce unnecessary flooding of multicast traffic. Since multicast traffic isn't automatically learned by switch hardware, the switch must flood the multicast traffic out all ports in the virtual local area network (VLAN) to ensure that a subscribed client receives the traffic. By using information learned by snooping IGMP packets, the device can build a multicast MAC address table and reduce the amount of flooding. This allows multicast traffic to be forwarded only to ports on which multicast subscribers or multicast routers have been learned.

The commands required to enable IGMP snooping on a VLAN depend on the version of AOS running on your unit. Units running an AOS version earlier than R10.10.0, must first enable IGMP snooping globally before enabling IGMP snooping on a VLAN. Units running AOS R10.10.0 or later only have to enable IGMP snooping on the desired VLAN. *Note:  The NetVanta 122x Series switches have IGMP Snooping enabled by default.

To enable IGMP snooping globally, enter the ip igmp snooping command at the Global Configuration command prompt.

(config)# ip igmp snooping

To enable IGMP snooping on a specified VLAN on your unit, enter the ip igmp snooping vlan command at the Global Configuration command prompt.

(config)# ip igmp snooping vlan <vlan id>

If you are having multicast issues specifically related to phones, then it may be because the phones do not support LLDP-MED, which is enabled by default on ADTRAN interfaces (*Note: The NetVanta 122x Series switches do not support LLDP-MED).  To disable LLDP on a switchport (if you are not using the LLDP-MED functionality), issue the following command at the interface prompt:   (config-swx 0/1)# no lldp send-and-receive

I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to reply to this post with any additional information or questions.  I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Levi!

Those were great ideas.  What ended up working was enabling edgeport mode on that particular port for spanning tree.  I'm not sure why though.

--Keith

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor