cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenlight2012
New Contributor

Rate Shaping on NV 1234?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to create a rate shaper for customers using Internet access in a MDU and/or dormitory environment.  For instance 20Mbps/5Mbps.  Is there a way to do this on the 1234?  We're also using a NV 4330 router.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wes_carper
New Contributor II

Re: Rate Shaping on NV 1234?

Jump to solution

I believe you can rate shape in the ingress direction only.  I had a similar need and had to go to a Cisco 2960 using service policy's and srr-queue to apply the shaping to the interface.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
wes_carper
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

I believe you can rate shape in the ingress direction only.  I had a similar need and had to go to a Cisco 2960 using service policy's and srr-queue to apply the shaping to the interface.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi greenlight2012,

Let me know if this post answers your question:

Thank you,

Jump to solution

Wes,

Thanks for the quick reply. I assume you need to do that in the CLI for the ingress. What command did you use? That might be enough to get my through my short term issue.

Regards,

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

If you need a temporary solution just set the port to 10 mb.

Jump to solution

unfortuately that won't work...need 20Mbps

Jump to solution

it answered my question, thanks. unfortunately, I need this at the port level, not vlan level...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I don't think the 1234 does Port-based VLANs.

You will have to upgrade to the 1534.

Jump to solution

You're right...thanks...

wes_carper
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Hey,

Just got into one of my 1238's to check on that.  I believe that I was mistaken.  There doesn't seem to be a way to do it on this switch per port.  I must have been thinking of a different switch that I was testing at the time.  I went through several different models/brands to find the right one for me to be able to do per port rate limiting.  In the end the 2960 was the best option I could find.  There's an HP/3COM 3600 switch that does it very nicely but it's a bit pricey.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

-

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor

Jump to solution

thank you! I've learned that bandwidth shaping is on the product roadmap, but it isn't available with my current product.