cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get SNTP to work

Jump to solution

I've tried setting up SNTP on a number of Netvana devices (1234, 1534, 1355) but I've never had any luck getting it to work.  It always says "Not yet synced"

I've used time.nist.gov, pool.nt.org, and even just IP addresses (64.90.182.55) to rule out DNS issues.

I experiment with different server version, but usually keep it at server version 1.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to resolve to trouble shoot the issue?

Thanks,
Aaron

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't get SNTP to work

Jump to solution

Aaron - You will want to make sure that you have the following setup when setting up SNTP on NetVanta switch devices:

1. Enable SNTP

switch(config)# sntp-server <SNTP IP address/hostname>

2. Configure default-gateway. This is necessary for the NetVanta switches themselves to have connectivity to the internet so that they can receive SNTP updates.

switch(config)# ip default-gateway <default gateway IP>

3. Configure DNS servers on AOS device. This is necessary for an AOS device to resolve the hostname of the SNTP server you specified in step 1 (if you did).

switch(config)# ip name-server <DNS server IP>

Based on the description of your issue, you may want to verify that you have a default-gateway set on your NetVanta switches and that you are able to ping out to the internet from those devices. If this does not resolve your issue, please reply to this email with the configuration of your device. Please remember to remove any information that may be sensitive to your network.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Aaron - You will want to make sure that you have the following setup when setting up SNTP on NetVanta switch devices:

1. Enable SNTP

switch(config)# sntp-server <SNTP IP address/hostname>

2. Configure default-gateway. This is necessary for the NetVanta switches themselves to have connectivity to the internet so that they can receive SNTP updates.

switch(config)# ip default-gateway <default gateway IP>

3. Configure DNS servers on AOS device. This is necessary for an AOS device to resolve the hostname of the SNTP server you specified in step 1 (if you did).

switch(config)# ip name-server <DNS server IP>

Based on the description of your issue, you may want to verify that you have a default-gateway set on your NetVanta switches and that you are able to ping out to the internet from those devices. If this does not resolve your issue, please reply to this email with the configuration of your device. Please remember to remove any information that may be sensitive to your network.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
getzjd
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Have you tried Synching it with your internal SNTP server / domain controller?   Should really sync the domain controller, then sync devices from it.

command

sntp server xx.xxx.xx.xx version 3  is what we use to sync internally to a 2008R2 DC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

There is a new issue with NTP and SNTP. Domain name servers now return IPV6 addresses for time.nist.gov. My Netvanta 3140 does not understand the V6 address. I had to enter a host name and hard code a V4 address.

Is there a better procedure?