Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benzoamine
New Contributor

Change login password help

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have several NetVanta 1524ST switches installed around my network.  The people who installed them (long gone) left the default username and password in place.  I can login to the GUI using admin and password.  I can't, however, find a way in the GUI to change the admin password.  I found where to create new accounts but not where to modify existing accounts.

I putty'd into the switches only to find that the Enable password isn't set to the default.  We have no idea what the enable password is.  So....

1.  Is there way to modify existing passwords via the GUI?

2.  Is there an easy way to change the Enable password without connecting via a console cable?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Change login password help

Jump to solution

Hello Benzoamine,

There is no modify section for usernames or passwords. What you need to do is act like your adding a new user. So say you want to change the password for admin. Type in admin as the username and then type in the password you want to change it, too. Then save the configuration and log out then log back in with the new password. I did this Netvanta 3430 routers and it worked. As for the enable password, i would remove the enable password and add the new you want because i was not sure what the level means for them.

Best Regard,

Nathaniel

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

‌Hi benzoamine:

You may reset the enable password using the GUI in the Passwords section, then log onto the CLI.  Another approach might be to create a new admin account using the GUI, log off, and log onto the GUI again using the new account.  Then change the password for the original admin account.  I don't believe you can change the current user's password from the GUI, as you discovered.

Best,

Chris

Jump to solution

I did not see an option to modify existing usernames or passwords in the Passwords section.

I created a new account but nowhere did it give me an ability to make that account an administrator.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I believe all accounts are administrators.

I don't think you can modify usernames, only passwords (and only passwords for other users; not the currently logged on user).

Enable password can be modified in the lower section, below the local user accounts.

Will you let us know how it goes?

Chris

Jump to solution

Maybe I’m being dense but I don’t see where you can modify passwords. Looking at the screenshot I see where you can create a new user name and assign a password but if I were to click on an account that isn’t currently logged in there is no modify password box.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello Benzoamine,

There is no modify section for usernames or passwords. What you need to do is act like your adding a new user. So say you want to change the password for admin. Type in admin as the username and then type in the password you want to change it, too. Then save the configuration and log out then log back in with the new password. I did this Netvanta 3430 routers and it worked. As for the enable password, i would remove the enable password and add the new you want because i was not sure what the level means for them.

Best Regard,

Nathaniel

Jump to solution

Wow, could the GUI interface be any less clear on how you would modify an existing username?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Nathan is correct in his description of how to change the password for an existing user account. I marked this question as Assumed Answered.

Michael, if you have anymore questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Evan