Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

E1 & ppp

Jump to solution

Hello Guys,

I was creating a test scenario between 2 NV3200 for connect 2 LANs over a E1 link with ppp. The situation is that the ppp 1 interface never goes up.

Reading some technical notes about this, the situation is that one of the peers stays under the REQSENT state and that never goes up, this could be because the ppp packets aren't either sent or received by the peer, I try with some E1 cables and by changing the clock sources on the equipments but it doesn't work.

Would you help me here!!?, I'm sending you my configuration files.

Thanks in advance,

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: E1 & ppp

Jump to solution

- Looking over your configuration, one thing I noticed was that the clocking appears to be incorrect. There needs to be one clock source in this network, which you designated in the "E1-2" router. However, the "E1" router has its clocking set to "through". This should be set to "line".

Other than that, the configurations on both routers look correct. At this point, I would recommend the following:

- Put a hard loop on the E1 interface of each router.

- Ensure there are no physical errors counting up while the loop is in place.

- Look at the "show int ppp 1" output  and check to see if the LCP state is in loopback.

** You can also take a look at the output to "debug ppp neg" and confirm that the MAGIC number that is transmitted is the same MAGIC number being received. This is what allows PPP to detect that it is looped up.

The guide below gives more information on how to troubleshoot PPP connections. Although the guide refers to a T1 connection, the same methods would apply to an E1 connection as well:

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- Looking over your configuration, one thing I noticed was that the clocking appears to be incorrect. There needs to be one clock source in this network, which you designated in the "E1-2" router. However, the "E1" router has its clocking set to "through". This should be set to "line".

Other than that, the configurations on both routers look correct. At this point, I would recommend the following:

- Put a hard loop on the E1 interface of each router.

- Ensure there are no physical errors counting up while the loop is in place.

- Look at the "show int ppp 1" output  and check to see if the LCP state is in loopback.

** You can also take a look at the output to "debug ppp neg" and confirm that the MAGIC number that is transmitted is the same MAGIC number being received. This is what allows PPP to detect that it is looped up.

The guide below gives more information on how to troubleshoot PPP connections. Although the guide refers to a T1 connection, the same methods would apply to an E1 connection as well:

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Noor