Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
workforceinsight
New Contributor

Daisy Chaining 7100s

Jump to solution

Hello, Adtran Support Community!

Our organization is growing and I'm out of available ports on the 7100 for just five more desk phones. We have another 7100 available as a cold-spare (but it has no config loaded on it), is there a way to "daisy chain" the two 7100s together to expand the available ports?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Daisy Chaining 7100s

Jump to solution

So you want to turn a 7100 into a Layer 2 PoE switch? When you plug a phone into the switch 7100, it will learn DHCP from the primary 7100 since it is all a layer 2 network the broadcast is just sent to the primary 7100. the switch 7100 ignores it since the dhcp has been deleted on it.

If that is your desire then copy and paste the following into the CLI via global configuration mode prompt:

no ip routing

no ipv6 unicast-routing

no ip firewall

no ip firewall stealth

no ip dhcp pool "LAN_pool"

no ip dhcp pool "VoIP_pool"

no interface vlan 1

no interface vlan 2

no sip

no sip udp 5060

no sip tcp 5060

no tftp server

no ftp server   

if you want to be able to access the PoEswitch-7100 from your network, you could paste  the following, change X to an available IP address on your network.

interface vlan 1

ip address 10.10.10.X 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

ip default-gateway 10.10.10.1

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

There is no way to make the two units act as one single system. You can network them together (https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-3455) and they will be able to call each other but they act independently of each other and will have separate auto attendants and voicemail systems. To make them act as one it would require a NetVanta Business Communications Server (BCS) Server in addition to the two NV7100s.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I wanted to mention that if you just needed more POE ports to plug phones into, you could disable SIP and routing on the cold-spare and use it as a plain POE switch in conjunction with the existing 7100. 

Thanks,

Matt

Jump to solution

Thanks Matt and Mark,

I should have clarified that we're using a BCS server -- but the functionality we're looking for is what Matt touched on -- a POE switch to supplement our existing 7100. Do you have the steps needed on how this can be accomplished? Also, how will the phones plugged into the second 7100 know how to reach the primary 7100?

Thanks all!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

workforceinsight,

Just treat the second 7100 as a layer 2 switch.  Remove all the IP configuration from the VLANs and then use one of the gig ports to trunk the two systems together:

On each 7100:

interface gigabit-eth 0/1

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

Quazar66

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

So you want to turn a 7100 into a Layer 2 PoE switch? When you plug a phone into the switch 7100, it will learn DHCP from the primary 7100 since it is all a layer 2 network the broadcast is just sent to the primary 7100. the switch 7100 ignores it since the dhcp has been deleted on it.

If that is your desire then copy and paste the following into the CLI via global configuration mode prompt:

no ip routing

no ipv6 unicast-routing

no ip firewall

no ip firewall stealth

no ip dhcp pool "LAN_pool"

no ip dhcp pool "VoIP_pool"

no interface vlan 1

no interface vlan 2

no sip

no sip udp 5060

no sip tcp 5060

no tftp server

no ftp server   

if you want to be able to access the PoEswitch-7100 from your network, you could paste  the following, change X to an available IP address on your network.

interface vlan 1

ip address 10.10.10.X 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

ip default-gateway 10.10.10.1

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mark

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt