Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Emulating a POTS line

Jump to solution

Hello.

We are using a 7100 for our VOIP system at one of our locations.  At this location, we have an outlying building that is far enough out, that we have a 1534P connected back to the networking closet where the 7100 and a 1234 reside using a fiber connection.  At this same outlying building, the local utility wants to install a telemetry device to "phone in" the meter reading each month.  The telemetry device needs us to emulate a 2 wire POTS line to make its call.  Because of where it is located, I cannot connect it to an analog card on the 7100.  Is there a way to connect this telemetry device to the 1534 using the 2 wire line and route the call through the fiber and to the analog card so that it can make it's monthly call?

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Emulating a POTS line

Jump to solution

The only way to do this would be to out an analog gateway in that building.  We can do this with the TA 904 P/n 4212904L1; this unit will provide up to 4 analog FXS connections which register back to the 7100.  This unit has an amphenol connector on the back so you will either need the installation kit to put it on a 66 block, P/N 1800001L1 or you can use the 8 port adapter P/N 1200927G8.  The 66 block kit will connect to the TA 904 with a 10 ft. cable and provide the same type of block that the telephone company uses.  The 8 port adapter is a modular box that plugs directly on to the back of the unit and provides a regular RJ11 telephone connector like you have on all analog phones.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The only way to do this would be to out an analog gateway in that building.  We can do this with the TA 904 P/n 4212904L1; this unit will provide up to 4 analog FXS connections which register back to the 7100.  This unit has an amphenol connector on the back so you will either need the installation kit to put it on a 66 block, P/N 1800001L1 or you can use the 8 port adapter P/N 1200927G8.  The 66 block kit will connect to the TA 904 with a 10 ft. cable and provide the same type of block that the telephone company uses.  The 8 port adapter is a modular box that plugs directly on to the back of the unit and provides a regular RJ11 telephone connector like you have on all analog phones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily as well as award points to the users that helped you.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just an option, I have had the same problem, need one analog station somewhere on my 7100.  Because I have a need for only one Pots FXS port I tried a product by Grandstream - it cost about $50.00 and connected directly to the 7100 (configured as a sip device). I have used it on both the LAN and remotely over VPNs offsite.  While I would strongly recommend the Adtran unit when I have a need for multiple FXS ports when you have a "one of" this is a nice alternative.

Larry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi larryp,

I was going to recommend a Linksys/Cisco ATA but it sounds like this is a modem of some kind which is more sensitive than voice.

I have found the the Total Access 900 series work a lot better then the ATAs when it comes to data and faxes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You might want to try it sometime.  I was surprised how well it worked with the 7100.  I have used it for remote telephones, faxes and modems.  In my application I have a number of 7100’s connected to support a number of utility applications in the water and waste water area.  For a couple of customers we have a wireless high speed network interconnecting all of their lift stations.  At the lift station we install an Adtran 712 to support the voice applications and the Grandstream product to support the “dial out” alarm processing.  It has worked really well.  If you are interested I can get you the model number of the unit.  It has a bunch of features (I don’t use them) but it has really expanded the overall functionality of the 7100’s.  It is now standard for us to sell a 7100 instead of the 1335 so that our customers can have this support.  If you want to discuss, please feel free to give me a call..  As a side note I am a strong Adtran supporter, most of my utility customers are “Cisco houses” and just hate when I show up with a bunch of Adtran stuff!!!

Regards

Larry

Message was edited by: matt - removed personal contact information

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt