cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rortega
New Contributor III

Page All Phones

Jump to solution

So I wasn't sure whether this was a system wide issue, or station issue. I'm using a 7100 and IP712, and IP706 phones. I have the spre code set up for AA paging. So user A dials **XXX and station B auto answers the page from station A. XXX is replaced with the users extension. All of that is working as it should.

What I'm trying to do, is use the page spre code to page ALL phones in the system. My idea, was create a ring all ring group, put all the stations I want to page in the ring group, and then use the spre code to page all the phones. The problem is, our extensions are 3 digit extensions, and a ring group is a 4 digit extension. So I added the 4 digit extension to the dial string, and to the AA configuration in the class of service. So far it's not working, and the phones don't recognize a 4 digit extension.

Any ideas or easier ways to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Page All Phones

Jump to solution

rortega wrote:

I thought about using that, but the paging group is just for a one way page isn't it? With the AApaging template using one phone, both users can talk back and forth and I was hoping to get that for multiple phones.

When I tested it last (also tried it this morning to be sure) creating a paging group only creates one way audio. I need two way. That's why I was wanting to use a ring group extension in the AA template.

paging, by definition, would only be one way audio. There is not a way to ring multiple phones for 2-way communication without someone picking up the phone first.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

rortega wrote:

So I wasn't sure whether this was a system wide issue, or station issue. I'm using a 7100 and IP712, and IP706 phones. I have the spre code set up for AA paging. So user A dials **XXX and station B auto answers the page from station A. XXX is replaced with the users extension. All of that is working as it should.

What I'm trying to do, is use the page spre code to page ALL phones in the system. My idea, was create a ring all ring group, put all the stations I want to page in the ring group, and then use the spre code to page all the phones. The problem is, our extensions are 3 digit extensions, and a ring group is a 4 digit extension. So I added the 4 digit extension to the dial string, and to the AA configuration in the class of service. So far it's not working, and the phones don't recognize a 4 digit extension.

Any ideas or easier ways to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't use a ring group for this functionality. You can use a paging group for up to 16 phones (more information here: https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-2334).

If you have more than 16 users, you should consider purchasing a paging system that can make use of the paging port on the back of the 7100.

rortega
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

I thought about using that, but the paging group is just for a one way page isn't it? With the AApaging template using one phone, both users can talk back and forth and I was hoping to get that for multiple phones.

When I tested it last (also tried it this morning to be sure) creating a paging group only creates one way audio. I need two way. That's why I was wanting to use a ring group extension in the AA template.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

rortega wrote:

paging, by definition, would only be one way audio. There is not a way to ring multiple phones for 2-way communication without someone picking up the phone first.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Matt

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

If the phones are Polycom and all on the same subnet, there's a multicast paging option built in to recent phone firmware that might also work.

Answering a page to go two-way isn't necessarily the best thing to do in an office situation, but might be OK in a residential setup.  Which scenario would you rather hear on all phones?

Option 1: "John, I need to talk to you, please pick up.  (Breathe, sigh...) John, are you there? (pause)  Hello?"

Option 2: "John, please call me on extension 4444."

rortega
New Contributor III

Jump to solution

I don't like either of those scenarios haha. And that's good to know about the Polycom's, I'm doing an all Polycom install soon. It turns out the client is ok without two way paging now, after I told them that the unit didn't support it.