cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best process to make a good backup of the 7100.

Jump to solution

I want something that allows me to remove the defective 7100 and install a new 7100 with the same config in less than 15 minutes.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the best process to make a good backup of the 7100.

Jump to solution

Hi tschupp:

I haven't worked on 7000 units (though I would like to!).  I can tell you that it runs AOS and you can export the configuration like any other NetVanta or Total Access device.  In the GUI, expand the Utilities section and click Configuration.  Be sure to Save the running configuration, then Download the config.  It looks like you can also download phone configuration files from the 7100 on the same screen.

I assume audio files are stored on Compact Flash.  Hopefully someone more familiar will chime in soon, but it may be as simple as downloading configs, and then uploading to the new 7100, along with moving the CF card (or backing up the card and restoring to a new CF card; or transferring using another technique such as FTP).

Anyway, I hope it goes well for you.  The product landing page seems to have a lot of useful info.

Best,

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi tschupp:

I haven't worked on 7000 units (though I would like to!).  I can tell you that it runs AOS and you can export the configuration like any other NetVanta or Total Access device.  In the GUI, expand the Utilities section and click Configuration.  Be sure to Save the running configuration, then Download the config.  It looks like you can also download phone configuration files from the 7100 on the same screen.

I assume audio files are stored on Compact Flash.  Hopefully someone more familiar will chime in soon, but it may be as simple as downloading configs, and then uploading to the new 7100, along with moving the CF card (or backing up the card and restoring to a new CF card; or transferring using another technique such as FTP).

Anyway, I hope it goes well for you.  The product landing page seems to have a lot of useful info.

Best,

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi tschupp: The NetVanta 7100 can generate a Python script to automate the backup. Login to the Admin interface and then  Go to Utilities > Backup and you should see the options and additional instructions:

This feature was added in R10.5, but you may want to use one of the later firmware. This will let you backup everything in a couple of minutes.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

For a Netvanta 7100, we use rancid like our switches.  See Shrubbery Networks, Inc. - RANCID

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip, ugob. Looks like a great tool!

Chris