cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

change a 7100 to a 6355

Jump to solution

I thought I remembered this was going to be a option soon. Is there a procedure documented for it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: change a 7100 to a 6355

Jump to solution

Brian,

We are working on a guide but don't have it available yet.  I would like to mention this is only capable on units specifically running A2.06.B2.01 bootcode. Here are the steps:

1. Load the NetVanta 6355 primary and backup images on CFLASH via FTP.  You cannot do this in the NetVanta 7100 GUI since it only allows NetVanta 7100 firmware to be loaded.

2. Connect a straight through serial cable to the console port of the unit and configure a VT100 terminal emulator for: 9600 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control.

3. Reboot the 7100.  As the unit boots, you will be given the opportunity to break into bootstrap mode by pressing the ESC key within 5 seconds. Hit the ESC key as soon as you see the message to get in bootstrap.

4. In bootstrap issue command boot system cflash <primary NV6355 filename> cflash <secondary NV6355 filename> replacing the filenames appropriately.

5. Issue the boot command.

6. When the unit boots up it will be running the NetVanta 6355 firmware.

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Brian,

Hope you have been doing well. To convert a 7100 to a 6355, you will need to contact support via phone at 888-423-8726. It requires getting some files from them and loading them into the 7100. They are not posted on the website.

One other thing to remember with this, is that you plan on carrying maintenance, you will need to have NV7100, not NV6355 maintenance on it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Brian,

We are working on a guide but don't have it available yet.  I would like to mention this is only capable on units specifically running A2.06.B2.01 bootcode. Here are the steps:

1. Load the NetVanta 6355 primary and backup images on CFLASH via FTP.  You cannot do this in the NetVanta 7100 GUI since it only allows NetVanta 7100 firmware to be loaded.

2. Connect a straight through serial cable to the console port of the unit and configure a VT100 terminal emulator for: 9600 bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control.

3. Reboot the 7100.  As the unit boots, you will be given the opportunity to break into bootstrap mode by pressing the ESC key within 5 seconds. Hit the ESC key as soon as you see the message to get in bootstrap.

4. In bootstrap issue command boot system cflash <primary NV6355 filename> cflash <secondary NV6355 filename> replacing the filenames appropriately.

5. Issue the boot command.

6. When the unit boots up it will be running the NetVanta 6355 firmware.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Guys

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hey Matt,

Is there a reason we boot from the cflash and not the flash?  I always try to use the flash for the primary.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Booting from flash should work fine too.  We do typically recommend the primary image come from flash and the backup image come from cflash.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thought I had that boot code,  can you email a link or do I need to open a case?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You will need to open a support case for the boot code.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Is it possible to convert back to a 7100 once the 6355 firmware is loaded?  Or is this a permanent change?

I have a 7100 in the lab that I want to use for testing the AOS sip proxy feature and I'll need to convert it for this test.  Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Yes, it is possible to swap between the two images assuming you have A2.06.B2.01 bootcode.  If you do not have that version of bootcode, you will need to open a support ticket to obtain it.