cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I use 'alias' or 'did' on an FXS user?

Jump to solution

Learning my way around AOS voice commands and wonder what's the best way understand the did and alias commands under voice user.  Should one or the other be used in certain situations?  Do both associate a DID/dial-in number with an FXS or user?  Can more than one be assigned to a given user?

I found the document Configuring User Accounts on the NetVanta 7000 Series to be helpful (even though it's not specifically for Total Access), but I'm not certain when or how to use each.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I use 'alias' or 'did' on an FXS user?

Jump to solution

Chris,

Thanks for posting!  I believe we discussed this over the phone, but wanted to add more details here.  Because of the differences in approved applications, and specifically the "feature mode" required for the devices, documentation for the IP Business Gateway/Total Access product lines and NetVanta 7000 series cannot be used interchangeably.

Our recommendation is that only the "alias" command be used on IPBG products to allow several called party numbers to reach a given voice user.  Also, in your case where we had multiple voice trunks configured on the unit that might accept the call, we required additional configuration in order to route the call properly.  This involved making sure that we explicitly rejected those aliases on other voice trunks.  This is because the order of preference for a call coming in a SIP trunk is voice user number, followed by other voice trunks, then the configured aliases.  Below is a short example where we might be required to reject an alias.  Some configuration is left out for the sake of brevity.

voice trunk T01 type sip

!

voice trunk T02 type isdn

!

voice grouped-trunk SIP

trunk T01

accept $ cost 0

!

voice grouped-trunk PRI

trunk T02

accept $ cost 0

reject 2000

!

voice user 1000

connect fxs 0/1

alias 2000

Thanks!

David

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Chris,

Thanks for posting!  I believe we discussed this over the phone, but wanted to add more details here.  Because of the differences in approved applications, and specifically the "feature mode" required for the devices, documentation for the IP Business Gateway/Total Access product lines and NetVanta 7000 series cannot be used interchangeably.

Our recommendation is that only the "alias" command be used on IPBG products to allow several called party numbers to reach a given voice user.  Also, in your case where we had multiple voice trunks configured on the unit that might accept the call, we required additional configuration in order to route the call properly.  This involved making sure that we explicitly rejected those aliases on other voice trunks.  This is because the order of preference for a call coming in a SIP trunk is voice user number, followed by other voice trunks, then the configured aliases.  Below is a short example where we might be required to reject an alias.  Some configuration is left out for the sake of brevity.

voice trunk T01 type sip

!

voice trunk T02 type isdn

!

voice grouped-trunk SIP

trunk T01

accept $ cost 0

!

voice grouped-trunk PRI

trunk T02

accept $ cost 0

reject 2000

!

voice user 1000

connect fxs 0/1

alias 2000

Thanks!

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Perfect--thanks so much for your help, David.  This makes sense.