cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vuppandm
New Contributor

Total Access 9xx/9xxe 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen

Jump to solution

As part of one of the requirements, we did some testing on Adtran 908e 2nd Gen about a year back. We have a new requirement to test 9xx 3rd Gen device. Can we extend the same testing we did with 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen platforms?  Is there any difference it firmware and hardware of these two devices?  Can someone confirm if there is any Total Access 3rd Gen that comes with FXO interface?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Total Access 9xx/9xxe 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen

Jump to solution

You shouldn’t have to retest. Should work the same.

Life-Line FXO means that the FXO interface doesn't have ERL support. ERL is Echo-Return Loss which is a software process that conditions the line to provide toll quality. Without ERL the call could suffer poor quality if terminating POTS. The built in FXO interface on back of chassis doesn't have ERL but 3rd gen TA 924e P/N that have 8 FXO interfaces off from the Amphenol connector DO have ERL if required.

The FXO lifeline port on all the TA 900s do not have the ERL tool and those interfaces should not be used in fulltime PSTN connections. They are designed to be used for lifeline/survivability applications. If your local loop connection is very short they might work. You would need to test and verify if the quality is good enough for customer.

Let me know if you have questions.

-Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Murali,

The TA 900e 3rd gen is a new hardware that can run any 2nd gen configuration. It has faster processor, more memory and an option for 30/60 DSPs where 2nd gen only supported 30.  The firmware is different between the boxes. There is no difference in functionality so your testing can be the same. All the 900e models have a p/n that comes with FXO. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Total Access 908e, w/Lifeline FXO 3rd Gen 4243908F2

Total Access 908e 30 CH DSP, W/Lifeline FXO 3rd Gen 4243908F5

Total Access 916e, w/Lifeline FXO 3rd Gen 4243916F2

Total Access 916e 30 CH DSP, W/Lifeline FXO 3rd Gen 4243916F5

Total Access 924e, w/Lifeline FXO 3rd Gen 4243924F2

Total Access 924e 30 CH DSP, W/Lifeline FXO 3rd Gen 4243924F5

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Here is a great comparision matrix comparing 3rd gen vs 2nd gen.

Total Access 900/900e Quick Comparison Matrix

Jump to solution

Thanks Mark.

Does it mean that I don't have to test it separately on 3rd Gen platforms? My 2nd Gen testing can be applied to 3rd Gen as well?

And What is Life line FXO? Does it fully support FXO capabilities? By the way, I have 908e 3rd Gen (P/N - 4243908F1) in my lab. FXO is marked on the device but the port is closed. Maybe, FXO is not supported on this model?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You shouldn’t have to retest. Should work the same.

Life-Line FXO means that the FXO interface doesn't have ERL support. ERL is Echo-Return Loss which is a software process that conditions the line to provide toll quality. Without ERL the call could suffer poor quality if terminating POTS. The built in FXO interface on back of chassis doesn't have ERL but 3rd gen TA 924e P/N that have 8 FXO interfaces off from the Amphenol connector DO have ERL if required.

The FXO lifeline port on all the TA 900s do not have the ERL tool and those interfaces should not be used in fulltime PSTN connections. They are designed to be used for lifeline/survivability applications. If your local loop connection is very short they might work. You would need to test and verify if the quality is good enough for customer.

Let me know if you have questions.

-Mark

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

forgot to reply about your 900e and FXO interface, to verify if you have the FXO port go into config t mode and try and to enter this command "int fxo 0/0"  If that works, then you have the fxo interface, if not, then you don't have it.

If the FXO interface on the chassis is closed and there is no RJ-11 inteface there, then you don't have it.

-Mark

Jump to solution

Thanks Mark. This really helps