cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krv
New Contributor

Service provider PRI to Adtran 908e to Asterisk via SIP

Hello everyone,

I work for a small company, and currently we are using a analog phone system (Nortel). In the coming months we plan on switching to a PRI and a onsite Asterisk box.

I have zero experience with Adtran devices, and a decent amount of experience with asterisk. I have been working with an asterisk system I built up from scratch here in the office. I have internet-based SIP trunks working just fine for incoming/outgoing calls.

Our service provider states they will be providing us with an Adtran 908e 2nd or 3rd gen along with the PRI.

My assumption is that I can create a SIP trunk on the 908e, in which my asterisk system can connect to, and it should work just the same as the Internet-based SIP trunks I already have working with Asterisk. I also assume that with theis setup, I will not need any sort of Digium PRI card inside the asterisk box.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on how this sort if setup is typically configured, and information on any echo cancellation issues I may experience without the Digium card, so I can plan accordingly.

Thank you in advance.

- Kyle

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Service provider PRI to Adtran 908e to Asterisk via SIP

So your SP is removing its SIP trunk to your SIP PBX and telling you that they are now going to be providing you a PRI to your SIP PBX and thus forcing you to buy a PRI interface on your SIP PBX?

Sounds like you need a new provider! 😃

That sounds crazy. What you need is the SBC feature in the ADTRAN that sits in front of SIP PBXs. SIP in from softswitch and then SIP to your PBX. You need to ask them why in the world they are forcing you to a PRI? Ask them if you can get the ADTRAN SBC software on the TA 908e.

Does that makes sense?

-Mark

krv
New Contributor

No this is not the case. We are currently using analog lines with our older PBX, we are not running a SIP pbx, yet....

I simply have a test asterisk setup, in which I am connecting to internet-based SIP providers to give me outside access for test purposes, and the plan is to get rid of the older pbx and switch to the asterisk PBX when we get the PRI installed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kyle,

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion. So looks like you just want a guide on how to configure the 908e to terminate a SIP trunk and pass PRI to your new Asterisks PBX.

Here are some guides:

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-5993

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-6581

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Mark